Apple Garden Threads

Threads and life.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Something to write (away) about.

At last we have done something others might be interested in reading about!

I was asked last week to go to the Wollangarra Open Day and spin in the inaugural Sheep to Shawl Competition, and ageed on the spot as I will spin under any conditions, the idea of a Sheep to Shawl intrigued me, as I have competed in an International Wool Challenge (Back to Back) 9 times now and love it and I had heard of Wollangarra and was keen to see it.

I tried to get a team together, but no-one from our Group was able to go that day, so our team was me and daughter Margie.

We arrived at the carpark, loaded up with spinning wheel, accessories and lunch (not needed as it turned out, as the food was plentiful and the billy on the boil all day) and headed in to Wollangarra. A shuttle service transported us the 1.7 kms to the river and then came the most exciting bit – crossing the Macallister River on the flying fox, which is the only way in for visitors.

That hurdle passed, we walked up to the Homestead and set up with the other team on the veranda, and were introduced to our other member, Barb.


There followed a great day in perfect weather,

plied with tea, cheerful support and friendly

interaction with the other team.

Our shawl was designed by Barb and Margie and finished just before the cut-off point – in time for us to watch some enthusiastic cross-cut sawing before our prize was awarded – Margie, after 4 hours of hard knitting, got the boot! (It did have a mint plant in it)Barb and I were presented with Wollangarra red and bottled plums, and another team member, Marcus, with more red.

Then back over the flying fox, teeth gritted, and the drive home though the beautiful scenery of the area – mountains ranges and lush spreading river flats dotted with sleek and fat cows and calves.

A really good day.








The finished shawl - washed and dried and in need of only a stitch or two before sending off to Wollangarra for display.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Auntie Noo said…

    That sounds like such a great day! Now you see we don't really get much of that kind of thing here in the south UK!!! Or maybe I'm just not in with the right social circles!

    Excuse my english ignorance though - what is a flying fox??

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger dianemulholland said…

    It's a cable with a little seat or handle hanging from it that slides along.

    There's a pic here http://lastminute.redballoondays.co.nz/experience/MKG613

    I assume there's a canyon or something in the way when you visit Wollangarra.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There's a river in the way. Lovely pictures, We must visit that part of the state. Liz.P

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger Auntie Noo said…

    Ahh got you on the flying fox!!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog re my sisters cardigan, spinning would be an option if she didn't want it for Christmas - this one or next!!!! - I've only been spinning a while and not managed anything nearly good enough to make something "proper" with yet! - I'm just having fun with it!

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger Liz.P said…

    Not all of your sisters are that clever, I cannot spin and can barely crotchet, but I do bead and patch. I now have a Blog and can comment under my own name, I hope!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home